Wednesday, August 06, 2008

High School


I was approached near the end of last semester to do a high school summer English camp. One of my co-teacher's father-in-law is a high school principal. They heard that another high school close to them was having an English camp, so they had to compete. Nonhyeon High school doesn't have a Native English teacher though, so I was asked if I'd like to participate. At first I was a little apprehensive, but then I found out I would get paid about $450 for 2 and a half days of 'teaching.' It was pretty much the easiest money I've made here. I had to teach 11 classes, and they flew by.
The one hitch was that the half day was on a Saturday, so I did have to wake up EARLY on my weekend. But it was worth it. The students were really smart and mature. It was a different experience because these students really could hold a good conversation with me. One of the girls lived with a host family in New Zealand for 2 and a half years (most of middle school). So she still speaks perfect English from that experience. It was awesome.

It made me really miss the high school girls I've worked with doing Young Life!

No comments: